1st YRF Film.

Independence Day Release

Beat Salman Khan - Amitabh Bachchan's God Tussi Great Ho in the clash
Wake Up Sid [2009] Dharma Productions
+
Ayan Mukherji
Domestic Nett = Rs. 27.94cr

WW Gross = Rs. 47.10cr
Semi Hit Cemented his position among the multiplex audience.

1st Dharma Prod Film.

Gandhi Jayanti release.
Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani [2009] Tips
+
Rajkumar Santoshi
Domestic Nett = Rs. 62.94cr

WW Gross = Rs. 99.73cr
Super Hit First big Hit.

First 1cr footfalls.

Penetrated Delhi/UP, Punjab & Rajasthan market.
Rocket Singh [2009] YRF
+
Shimit Amin
Domestic Nett = Rs. 20.18cr

WW Gross = Rs. 33.65cr
Below Average Commercial failure even in Metros.

2nd YRF collab.
Raajneeti [2010] UTV, Prakash Jha Productions
+
Prakash Raj
Domestic Gross = Rs. 92.37cr

WW Gross = Rs. 145.50cr
Suoer Hit Career's highest at the time.

First Multistarrer vehicle.

Exposed to the massy circuits.
Anjaana Anjaani [2010] NGE, EROS
+
Siddharth Anand
Domestic Nett = Rs. 40.05cr

WW Gross = Rs. 68.48cr
Average Cemented Star Status
Rockstar [2011] Sree Ashtavinayak, EROS
+
Imtiaz Ali
Domestic Nett = Rs. 68.61cr

WW Gross = Rs. 108.71cr
Semi Hit Stronghold in Delhi & East Punjab aided by Mumbai.

1st time collaberating with Imtiaz Ali
Barfi! [2012] UTV
+
Anurag Basu
Domestic Nett = Rs. 105.57cr

WW Gross = Rs. 174.73cr
Super Hit A bonafide STAR.

1st 100cr entry,
Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani [2013] Dharma Productions, UTV
+
Ayan Mukherji
Domestic Nett = Rs. 177.99cr

WW Gross = Rs. 295.61cr
Blockbuster 1st Blockbuster

2nd Dharma Prod Collab,

Superstardom unlocked.
Besharam [2013] Movies World, Reliance
+
Abhinav Kashyap
Domestic Nett = Rs. 56.82cr

WW Gross = Rs. 95.11cr
Flop Newly achieved superstardom showcased.

1st blunder, critically heavily panned.
Roy [2015] T-Series
+
Vikramjit Singh
Domestic Nett = Rs. 35.87cr

WW Gross = Rs. 56.02cr
Flop Misuse of superstardom.

Extended appearace, dented the said superstardom.

2nd Blunder.
Bombay Velvet [2015] Fox Star India, Pantom
+
Anurag Kashyap
Domestic Nett = Rs. 22.80cr

WW Gross = Rs. 43.13cr
Disaster Anybody's NIGHTMARE.

Stardom took a serious hit.

Biggest Blunder... the third one.
Tamasha [2015] NGE, UTV
+
Imtiaz Ali
Domestic Nett = Rs. 68.55cr

WW Gross = Rs. 136.63
Flop Considering the last film, decent attempt. Still not enough to make a comeback.

Critics favorite.

2nd Imtiaz Ali & Nadiadwala collab.
Ae Dil Hai Mushkil [2016] Dharma Productions, Fox Star India
+
Karan Johar
Domestic Nett = Rs. 106.48cr

WW Gross = Rs. 229.56cr
Hit A breather.

Won the Diwali clash with Shivaay.
Jagga Jasoos [2017] Picture Shuru
+
Anurag Basu
Domestic Nett = Rs. 52.61cr

WW Gross = Rs. 86.85cr
Flop 4th Blunder.

A producer's nightmare. Strong lesson learnt, at the cost of impacting the star status again.
Sanju [2018] Fox Star India, RHF, VVCP
+
Rajkumar Hirani
Domestic Nett = Rs. 334.57cr

WW Gross = Rs. 578.44cr
Major comeback,

Career's biggest.

1st collab with Rajkumar Hirani as a lead hero.

So, what do you guys think about the career trajectory of Bollywood's next King of Romance, protege / legacy holder of Bollywood's most beloved?

Share your take on his career choices.

What could have been? What shouldn't have been? What doesn't you change?

And ofcourse the future prospect, Shoot away.

https://feedingtrends.com/storage/article_images/1538064539article_img.jpg

Source Link: https://boxofficeindia.com/actor.php?actorid=11&role=24
closed
in Cinematic Discussion by All Time best! (302k points)

though he is a very good actor but he gave many underperformers between yjhd and sanju even the brahmastra is looking a risky project
now even ranveer singh is now looking more promising with his upcoming lineup and recent hits

6 Answers

+1 vote

Best answer

Ranbir Kapoor was probably one of the most publicized newcomers and star kids when he made his debut in 2007. His debut, Sanjay Leela Bhansali-directed Saawariya was hyped and he was already pitched to give competition to Shah Rukh Khan whose film Om Shanti Om was releasing on the same day. Before even his debut release he was pitched against a superstar! An actor who had been in the industry for years, given several hits, and was king of the classes!!

Director Sanjay Leela Bhansali was overconfident about Saawariya. He didn’t shift the release date and, basked on the publicity the film was getting because it marked the debut of the Kapoor heir. But alas, the film tanked. He, however, was appreciated and was awarded the Best Male Debut Award at most award functions.

His acting skills are clearly visible in movies like Barfi where he played the role of lively dumb and deaf guy
Another great movie by him is Rockstar. He has such good acting skills that one couldn't believe that he himself wasn't singing in the movie.
His character Bunny in Yeh Jawani Hai Diwani was also very well played. The lively, ambitious, carefree and emotional characters of the protagonist was beautifully portrayed by him.
The character of Ved in Tamasha is also a unique character with emotions on one hand and liveliness on the other
And how can one forget his work in SANJU, the latest and the most memorable one. His look, his voice modulation, his body language, his expressions are fabulous in moving. I don't think anyone could have portrayed Sanjay Dutt in a better way.

Craze for Yjhd & Rajneeti was huge though there're various other factors working like Kat's peak and buzz for a love couple coming together after breakup (Yjhd) then
He got films after films. Many tanked. Some survived. And only a few were critically appreciated and well received by the audiences.
Its an age old saying that if ain’t broke don’t fix it. Ranbir should have continued making hay while the sun shone. 2–3 masala movies with a thought-provoking one thrown in. Its your peak brother - why tamper with whats working
Ranbir has proved himself as an actor, however he didn't quite got the succcess/ hit films for a long time.

All he needs is a good film which pleases more section of audience and the success will follow.

Ranbir was obviously a star considering the success range of Rajneeti, Barfi, YJHD.

Post YJHD he didn't quite picked a script which appeals to most of the audience. Most of his films were not crowd friendly, though he excelled as an actor, he couldnt shine as a star

He has made news more due to his personal life .
His unstable love life and accusations of cheating and having a wandering eye has only damaged his image. He is termed a casanova, a womanizer, a serial dater.

Choice of films. He declined Band Baaja Baaraat with one film old Anushka Sharma to do Anjaana Anjaani with Priyanka Chopra who was a top actress. Anjaana Anjaani floped and did nothing for his career while newcomer Ranveer Singh soared high and higher.

Sanjay Leela Bhansali initially wanted to pair Deepika and Ranbir in Ram Leela but the actor refused this too. The role again went to Ranveer Singh who soon became the new heartthrob.

The actor also refused 2 States and Dil Dhadakne Do (the role again went to Ranveer Singh) among others. The actor instead chose Besharam, a critically penned film; Roy, a boring masterpiece; and Anurag Kashyap-directed Bombay Velevt, that was slammed by not just audience and critics but his own father too

Sanju's effect will be seen in his next movie but I don't really think he has managed his 2013 level star power, Hirani is the driving force in his movies though Ranbir has a sizeable following in Delhi-UP & Punjab.
Both of his upcoming movies have gone over budgeted. Bad luck for him

by Executive Producer (66.5k points)
selected by
+3 votes

OK, this is interesting series of questions, I'm gonna have so much fun with these.
I'm not gonna do full analysis, Just the questions yoi posted at last.

What could've been - He could have made choice of not becoming an actor

What shouldn't have been - Him making debut

What doesn't i change ?? What?? I think you meant what do i change..... Then I'll change the budgets of BV, besharam, JJ..... I'll make them even more expensive, add 100 crs more budget to those movies.

Future prospects - Keep using his relationship to get limelight and get buzz for his next movie and then break up with Alia and use that buzz for the movie after that.
Also keep paying PR more and more.

by All Time best! (269k points)

haha....Ranbir has a philosopher side too, pani becomes sharbat....wow....philisopher bhi, chemist bhi (rock) ....though 12wein fail h I think...class mein bhi nalaik, industry mein bhi

+1

One man. So much versatility. Eyebrow lifter, sherbet boy, media expert. Wow.

how we can add gif in a comment? @Intense @Suhas

aik zmana tha jb insaan insaan k kaam ata tha....bhalla waqt tha woh....ab kahan aisay loag miltay hain

+1 vote

4 Blunders in a career spanning 13 years (11 years if you count release date of Sanju) and he has done 17 films. Just shows his standing in terms of stardom.

My favourite films are YJHD and Tamasha. Ajab Prem Ki was a decent flick when I watched it back then. Now its just annoying.

I have ZERO expectations from Bramhastra. I feel it's going to be his 5th (and possibly his biggest) Blunder. Shamshera might work since it's a YRF film and very rarely do they go wrong with their marketing.

If you consider stars outside the Big 6, I would put him below Ranveer and Tiger, actors who debuted after him.

(I expect some abuses and trolling coming my way from a certain fan. So I hope I haven't gone too far by comparing him with Ranveer) (giggle)

by Location Scout (4.9k points)
0 votes

Bollywood's next King of Romance, protege / legacy holder of Bollywood's most beloved,

Disaster with BM and Shamshera. Drag on Alia affair for another few years to be in news. He has a bright future indeed

by Mega Star (226k points)
0 votes

there aint a single ranbir film which i whole heartedly like ..i like RS , Rockstar mildly ..Btw a nice well made post(y)

by Location Manager (5.3k points)

there is.. i liked barfi whole heartedly(handshake)

0 votes

He has worked with who matters in Bollywood than , Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan etc.
Not showing the superstar he is said to be by the box office records

by Producer (114k points)

No related questions found