–1 vote

There have been 78 Bollywood films that have crossed the 100 crore mark. These films don't include the 4 Hindi dubbed South Indian movies and only includes the movies which have crossed the 100 crore mark according to BOI. When a question popped up about what films are included in the 100 crore club and the genre of those films, I divided them all into different groups. 

Book Adaptation, Remakes, Sequels, True Events/Biopic and of course Original films. 

This result has brought about interesting details,

Book Adaptation: Raazi, Ram-Leela, 2 States & 3 Idiots (a little dicey about this one) (4 films)

Remake: Kabir Singh, Simmba, Kick, Bodyguard, Bang Bang, Rowdy Rathore, Ready, Agneepath, Ghajini, Holiday, Jai Ho, Bol Bachchan, Bharat, Tubelight (14 films)

Sequels: TZH, Dhoom 3, HF 4, G4, Krrish 3, Race 3, Baaghi 2, TD, Dabangg 2, TWMR, Singham Returns, Dabangg 3, Judwaa 2, BKD, HF 2, HF 3, G3, Jolly 2, Don 2, ABCD 2 (20 films)

True Events/Biopics: Dangal, Sanju, Padmaavat, Tanhaji, Uri, Mission Mangal, Bajirao Mastani, Kesari, Super 30, Gully Boy, Toilet (a little dicey about this), Stree, Rustom, Airlift, Dhoni, Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, Gold (17 films)

Original:  PK, Bajrangi, Sultan, War, CE, GN, PRDP, ETT, HNY, YJHD, Chhichhore, Dabangg, Dilwale, Dream Girl, TOH, Badhaai Ho, Raess, Ra.One, ADHM, Barfi, JTHJ, SKTKS (23 films)

Only a third of Original story Bollywood films have crossed the 100 crore mark. Sequels, Remakes and True Stories together almost make up for the rest. 

The filmographies ahead also show that the last 3 are the type of genres that will guarantee a success. Whether it's Sooryavanshi (Partial Original, Partial Sequel), Laxmmi Bomb (Remake), Radhe (Remake), 83 (True Story), Prithviraj (True Story), Laal Singh Chaddha (Remake), Bhuj & Maidaan (True Story), Kaithi (Remake), Tiger 3 & Kick 2 (Sequels), KEKD & GON (Remakes). It's a given now that making original stories is something which producers may not bank on much. 

When Original Stories used to rule Bollywood (don't forget Original Music as well) in the 2000s decade and very few sequels and remakes existed in the 20th century, it's sad to see that not many successful Original movies are being made. 

closed
in Box Office Discussions by Location Scout (4.9k points)
edited by

Good post.

Bharat & Tubelight were official adaptations / remakes.

Oh yes. Forgot about those films.

Makes the original movies count to 23.

aur bhai stree in true event/biopic category :D

aise to har movie ke piche koi na koi inspiration hoti hai , it is a original movie

That's why I have written dicey for some of them like Toilet. Stree also falls into the same category.

The point is, there is already a real story available and they make a story around it. Even if I ignore Stree and Toilet, just look at what most actors filmographies include.

Akshay does many true story films in the last few years. Prithviraj and I think Bell Bottom follows the same route. Salman does many remakes and sequels.

But 100% original scripts like what SRK has done, see their performance. Fan, JHMS and Zero flopped. Raees under performed.

Making a good 100% original script is very rare. But when they click, they cross 300cr (PK, Bajrangi and Sultan).

4 Answers

0 votes

Best answer

Bhai Good Post But Now A Days 100 Cr Mark Very Easy To Achieve. 1 Cr Footfalls Mark Is The Real Parameter.

by Assistant Director (52.2k points)
selected by

Yes that's true. A film with 70-80lacs footfalls can cross 100cr easily.

From now on, the barometer of success should be 1cr+ footfalls (approx 130-140cr).
The last few years we have seen 12 & 16 films cross 100cr and most of them belong to those 3 genres. It's become so easy to get it with increased ticket rates and GST.

Hopefully more original films are made in the future that cross 1cr footfalls.

0 votes

bhai 100 cr is no benchmark today even 60-65 l movie can do it today

by Location Manager (7.9k points)

Agreed, but the same point can be made for films with 1cr+ footfalls over the last few years and the result will be the same as 1cr+ is a proper benchmark for most films.

From 2016-2020, all films that crossed 1cr footfalls have a 100cr Nett+

2015: Welcome Back (sequel) & Gabbar is Back (Remake)
2014: Ek Villain (I heard it's a remake of a Korean film)
2013: Grand Masti & Race 2 (Sequels)

2012: SOS (Remake). Talaash and OMG were original
2011: Singham (Remake), Dirty Picture (True Events). Only ZNMD was original.

You can see here as well that 1cr+ footfalls have some inspiration from somewhere since the last 10 years. As you move back in time, the original movies will increase.

The point I am making is that successful original films are very rare.

0 votes

It shows writers are getting lazy and actors also prefer to hop on to the sequel bandwagon as its a safe bet (mostly) for a BB.

by Mega Star (226k points)

I like how you added "mostly" lol.

But yes, it's true. Backing on Nostalgia of a previous film almost always guarantees a success for it's sequel.

Why else are we getting speculations on Baaghi 4, HF 5, Golmaal 5, Singham 3. Heck, even a Heropanti 2 has been announced even though a script isn't ready.

0 votes

100 cr is now not even a benchmark for regional industries like tamil or telugu

by Set Designer (2.0k points)

No related questions found