settingsLogin | Registersettings
Show Menu

Sholay : 45 Years of one of India's Greatest Classic . Check original reviews heavily bashing the movie

–1 vote

The film was trashed by most of the film critics and was declared a disaster of epic proptions.

Trade Guide rubbished it as "Choley". Main cast is Teen Maharathi aur ek chooha. 

India Today-- Sholay is Dead Ember It Is a gravely flawed attempt Another critic dissed it as "full of sound and fury signifying nothing". 

RD Burman -- Log to bahut Galliyan de rahe hai

Filmfare Magazine -- film was an unsuccessful mincing of Western style with Indian milieu, making it an "imitation western—neither here nor there 

In another review , Sholay was awarded an average rating. The critic made arguments to support his claim, and it is clearly not something all the cult classic lovers would agree with. For instance, the critic did not even mention Amitabh Bachchan in the long review, instead, he stuck to addressing him as Dharam’s (Dharmendra) co-killer 

Another review  labelled it as "sound and fury signifying nothing" and a "second-rate take-off" of the 1971 film Mera Gaon Mera Desh 

An Irish Quarterly Review, it is intolerable: formless, incoherent, superficial in human image, and a somewhat nasty piece of violence 

in General Queries by Location Manager (7.9k points)

8 Answers

+1 vote

Best answer

Are these people Still alive? Give me the contacts.....

by Unit Manager (33.7k points)
selected by

+1 vote

even karan arjun also panned by critics of its time....people need to understand masala movies never get appreciated y critics...even today 1 or 2 stars for dabaang, ready, ce etc...still they proves blockbuster

by Camera Operator (8.2k points)
0 votes

Shame on bollywood pseudo critics for what they did to Sholay and Hum Aapke Hain Koun.

by Producer (113k points)
0 votes

One of the best commercial entertainers ever. The movie belonged to the great Amjad Khan and Sanjeev Kapoor for me. Overall the others also did really well.

by Mega Star (226k points)

Yup ..
Gabbar Singh & Thakur Saab's epics dialogues & strong screen presence made it what it is alongwith Jai & Veeru's Iconic bromance ..

0 votes

They did the same to Deewaar that year but that was Filmfare.

Anyway, Sholay is one of the best masala movies in Indian Cinema. Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra were fun but Amjad Khan steals the show. Sanjeev Kumar is excellent.

I'm sure to this day Danny Denzongpa still regrets rejecting Amjad's role. Although a good actor but don't think him as Gabbar would be as memorable like Amjad.

by Assistant Director (44.0k points)

he did not reject it , he was forced to quit due to his commitment to Feroz Khan’s Dharmatma.

0 votes

These pseudos are hopeless

by Art Director (2.9k points)
0 votes

i recently watched it.... it was very good. just wasted entire character development of amitab and his wife..... i mean u ask question at the end.... whyyyy... what was the point if u were just gonna kill him later.

and dharam's sexual harrassment was presented as cute and love

by Super-star (198k points)
–1 vote

Entertaining movie .....greatest classic ??....Nooooo

by Production Designer (14.7k points)

its the most loved movie of indian cinema
in its third or fourth re release even in 90s it did more buisness than the blockbusters

Related questions

+3 votes
1 answer 242 views
–1 vote
3 answers 173 views
+2 votes
5 answers 127 views