8th August has seen some of the biggest films release. While there is nothing special about this date, except for Eid in 2013, it's great to see some huge footfalls generated for films released on this date.
1. Chennai Express: Other than 2020, the one year where Salman didn't have an Eid release and SRK grabbed this date with both hands. Despite some controversies with OUATIMD regarding release date, this film became the highest grossing film of all time beating the 3.5 year record of 3 Idiots. It just fell short of the highest opening day (according to BOI), but the film holds a record of the highest Thursday evening preview screening of over 6cr. A Blockbuster written all over it and the hype of this film was at a high. Footfalls of over 2.5 cr, with an adjusted nett gross of over 300-310cr for sure.
2. Pardes: Another SRK starrer, after delivering blockbusters in DDLJ, Karan Arjun, Darr and Baazigar in the few years before this film released, he starred in this 1997 musical film. Over 2cr footfalls and approx adj nett gross of around 250cr+. Can't say much about this film as I didn't witness how big a hit it was when it releassed.
3. Koi Mil Gaya: After the Blockbuster debut, Hrithik joined hands with his father once again for this science fiction film. Jadoo was a huge rage when the film was announced and a huge comeback for HR after delivering a few flops/disasters after his debut. The film was a roaring success that now has become one of the biggest franchises in Bollywood. The 4th part is awaited and is said to be much bigger than we can anticipate with Time travel and probably the return of Jadoo. With over 1.94cr footfalls, it was a Superhit at the box office and should nett around 240cr at today's ticket rates.
4. Singh Is Kinng: One of the most anticipated films of 2008, this film marked the 4th collaboration of Akshay and Katrina. The film also released 8 months after the super success of the trio (including director Anees Bazmee) previous film Welcome. The highest opening day at the time of release, the hype for this film was an all time high. Also, it held the record of being Akki's biggest hit overseas until last year. With the Snoop Dogg cameo, the songs, Egypt and Akshay's comic timing, it was a Super Hit at the box office with over 1.4cr footfalls, that is approx 180cr+ at today's rates.
5. Entertainment: One of Akshay's worst films with terrible marketing, terrible release date (2 weeks after Kick and a week before Singham Returns), the film marked the debut of writer duo Sajid Farhad. While the film was a flop at the box office, it still is one of the most watched films on television. A better release date, better marketing strategy and had it been produced by Nadiadwala (Akshay and Sajid-Farhad go to man), this film could have had better success. Still received 82lacs footfalls, approx 105-110cr at today's rates.
6. GOW 2: Not at all a box office friendly film, but the cult status it has received is a huge achievement. Considered as one of the best Bollywood films and is at IMDb top 250 films, it still was a flop at the Box Office.
(The adjusted Nett collections are approx figures as BOI hasn't updated this yet)