BOMBAY has created magic at the box-office all over India. The film as also the (positive) hangover it leaves on the viewer’s mind are being discussed. Its record-breaking collections have matched the tremendous appreciation from classes as well as masses. Heavy crowds have been reported in cinemas in every nook and corner of the country. There is a mad scramble for tickets everywhere. Muslims have also accepted the film with open arms. All fears of its fate at smaller centres and its repeat-value have proved to be unfounded. …The week was bountiful for the box-office due to extra holidays (Mahavir Jayanti, demise of Morarji Desai).
Bombay proves a blockbuster all over. Class AA.
Bombay: Bombay 7,29,828 (100%) from 2 cinemas (2 on F.H.), opens today (15th) at New Excelsior and 7 other cinemas of Bombay city and suburbs; Ahmedabad (6 days) 5,07,087 from 3 cinemas, Surat 73,711 (1 unrecd.), Baroda 2,04,900 (100%), record, Rajkot 1,39,916, Jamnagar 1,31,000; Pune 5,59,216 from 2 cinemas, Solapur 2,07,692 (100%), Nasik 1,18,216 (100%), record;
Delhi/UP: Delhi 33,41,363 (99.08%) from 12 cinemas; Kanpur 3,10,145 (100%), Lucknow 1,59,796 (100%), Gorakhpur 1,55,724 (100%), Saharanpur (26 shows) 87,657, Ghaziabad 1,22,302, theatre record, Varanasi 1,42,065 (100%), Meerut (3 days) 54,478 (100%), Agra (3 days) 100%, Aligarh 1st day 100%, suspended for 2 weeks;
West Bengal: Calcutta 20,28,125 (100%) from 19 cinemas;
CP-Berar: Nagpur (2 days) 92,856 (100%) from 2 cinemas, Jabalpur 1,05,372, Amravati (32 shows) 1,15,531 (100%), theatre record, Dhule 1,26,482, city record;
CI: Indore 4,99,535 from 3 cinemas (2 on F.H.), Bhopal 2,37,904 from 2 cinemas;
Rajasthan: Jaipur 4,98,377 from 2 cinemas, Jodhpur excellent.
Total 1,07,49,278 from 63 cinemas.
* BOMBAY has created an all-time record by collecting 2,50,362/- in 6 days (12 shows) at Drive In, Ahmedabad.
* BOMBAY has created a city record by collecting 1,31,000/- in 1st week at Amber, Jamnagar.
* BOMBAY has created history by drawing all 28 shows full and collecting 2,04,900/- in 1st week at Sadhana, Baroda.
* BOMBAY has created a theatre record by collecting 1,18,216/- in 1st week at Mamta, Nasik. All 28 shows were full.
* BOMBAY has created new records in 10 of the 11 cinemas of Delhi in 1st week: at Shiela by collecting 4,77,709/-, Chanakya 3,00,636/-, Jubilee 1,65,233/-, Savitri 2,73,105/-, Alankar 3,61,817/-, Aakash 2,78,201/-, Natraj 3,04,535/-, Rachna 2,80,162/-, Amba 3,17,983/-, and Sonia 1,95,300/-. All the shows at all the cinemas were full, with heavy crowds outside.
* BOMBAY has created a theatre record by collecting 1,22,302/- in 1st week at Urvashi, Ghaziabad.
* BOMBAY has created a U.P. record by collecting 3,10,145/- at Heer Palace, Kanpur. All shows were full.
* BOMBAY has created records by collecting 1,59,796/- at Anand, Lucknow, and 1,42,065/- at Vijaya, Varanasi. All shows at both the cinemas were full.
* BOMBAY has created records by drawing all shows full (1,55,724/-) at Raj, Gorakhpur and Venus, Saharanpur (87,657/- for 26 shows, 2 shows cancelled due to Ram Navmi).
* BOMBAY has created a record by collecting 100% (54,478/-) in 3 days of 1st week at Apsara, Meerut. The film was discontinued on 2nd day and resumed on 6th day.
* BOMBAY drew all shows full in the first 3 days at Sanjay, Agra. It was discontinued from 4th day and resumed from 8th day to packed houses.
* BOMBAY has created a theatre record by collecting 1,15,531/- (all 32 shows full) in 1st week at Vasant, Amravati. The film had to be screened in daily 5 shows later during the week due to heavy public demand!
* BOMBAY has created a city record by collecting 1,26,482/- in 1st week at Jyoti, Dhule.
* BOMBAY has created a theatre record by collecting 1,96,650/- in 1st week at Chandragupta, Indore. It has also created threatre records by collecting 1,86,958/- at Sangeeta, Indore, and 1,15,927/- at Alka, Indore.
* BOMBAY has created records by collecting 1,37,660/- in 1st week at Filmistan, Gwalior, and 88,000/- at Manmandir, Gwalior.
* BOMBAY has created theatre records by collecting 2,59,123/- in 1st week (26 shows) at Motimahal, Jaipur, and 2,39,254/- (26 shows) at Laxmi Mandir, Jaipur.