The year 2019 turned out to be pretty decent with the top twenty five films collecting 3600 crore nett plus as compared to 3000 crore nett last year. But a lot is to do with lower GST in 2019 as the GROSS numbers are 4250 crore compared to 3850 crore in 2018. There is a 20% difference in NETT numbers which would be a good result if all things were equal but in actual terms the difference is 10% as in GROSS numbers all is equal. The 10% growth is roughly how much ticket rates grew in 2019.
The biggest grosser of the year was War (Hindi) grossing 292 crore nett but the biggest HIT was Kabir Singh. Kabir Singh was the universal blockbuster of the year which did equally well in all parts of India. It also had the highest footfalls of the year as it was released outside holiday periods on normal ticket rates. War and Uri - the Surgical Strike were also BLOCKBUSTERS but could have done better in the Central India markets where there performance was lower as compared to other areas. The other film to top 200 crore nett Housefull 4 could have done better in North.
No film got close to 3 crore footfalls which tells there was no really huge BLOCKBUSTER. In fact the last 3 crore footfall film was Tiger Zinda Hai in 2017 though Padmaavat may have got there if it release all over. Only two Hindi films Kabir Singh and War managed to get more than 2 crore footfalls and the third film was Avengers - Endgame from Hollywood. Saaho also manged it in all formats and if we take all formats into consideration then this film had the most footfalls of any film in India last year at 2.60 crore.
The ranking of the top films in terms of NETT collections are as follows and these twenty stand above the rest as the 26th film is under 50 crore nett. The GROSS collections may change the positions a little as there is state levy and higher service charges in some states and if films have a higher ratio coming from these areas then it changes the NETT to GROSS ratio.
1. War (Hindi) - 2,92,71,50,000
2 Kabir Singh - 2,76,34,00,000
3. Uri: The Surgical Strike - 2,44,00,50,000
4. Housefull 4 - 2,05,60,50,000
5 Bharat - 1,97,34,50,000
6. Good Newwz - 1,95,78,00,000 (35 days)
7. Mission Mangal - 1,92,67,00,000
8. Kesari - 1,51,87,50,000
9. Total Dhamaal - 1,50,07,50,000
10. Saaho (Hindi) - 1,48,84,00,000
11. Chhichhore - 1,47,32,50,000
12. Super 30 - 1,47,00,00,000
13. Dream Girl - 1,39,37,00,000
14. Dabangg 3 (Hindi) - 1,34,79,00,000
15. Gully Boy - 1,34,21,50,000
16, Bala -1,10,97,50,000
17. De De Pyaar De - 94,50,00,000
18. Manikarnika: The Queen Of Jhansi (Hindi) - 90,81,00,000
19. Luka Chuppi - 88,50,50,000
20. Badla - 87,56,00,000
21. Batla House - 84,99,50,000
22. Pati Patni Aur Woh - 80,41,00,000
23. Kalank - 80,03,50,000
24. Student Of The Year 2 - 65,70,50,000
25. Article 15 - 65,17,50,000
NOTE - Good Newwz is still running in week six but will not change the rankings as it has only 25-50 lakh more to come.