Uri - The Surgical Strike is finishing its run on around 244 crore nett. It is probably the fourth biggest small - medium Hindi film of all time. The budget of the film may not be as small as some of the other films comparatively as they were very low budget films but today there has to be some sort of spend while earlier the content could take the film anywhere even without a spend.
A Jai Santoshi Maa was made with a production budget of less than 3 lakh and was released on around 15 prints for a total of 5-6 lakhs cost at time of release. Eventually in time nearly 300 prints had to be taken out and the cost of the film went to 50 lakhs apprx. The print and promotions cost of this film was eventually more than 15 times of the production budget.
The business of this film is 400 crore nett plus today in terms of adjusted NETT GROSS which is probably an unbeatable record for a small film. That film went on some sort of wave when released and a similar thing has happened. Uri - The Surgical Strike though not at the same level as Jai Santoshi Maa across the country.
The other films which make into the top ten from recent films are Tanu Weds Manu Returns in sixth place and Badhaai Ho in tenth spot. The top ten small medium films in the industry of Hindi cinema are as follows.
1. Jai Santoshi Maa (1975) - 400 crore plus
2. Nikaah (1982) - 275 crore plus
3. Dosti (1964) - 250 crore plus
4. Uri - The Surgical Strike - 244 crore apprx
5. Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak - 185 crore apprx
6.Tanu Weds Manu Returns - 165 crore apprx
7. Dharma (1973) - 160 crore apprx
8. Pratighaat (1987) - 150 crore apprx
9. Aaj Ki Awaaz (1984) - 145 crore apprx
10. Badhaai Ho (2018) - 140 crore apprx