Hichki has emerged a HIT film in China as it has sustained very well over the last four weeks or so. The film had started with less than $750k and is now on the verge of crossing $20 million. The film has crossed the business of PK to stand as the fifth highest grossing Indian film in China.
This film has done better in China than in India which was also the case with Dangal, Secret Superstar, Hindi Medium and Delhi Safari. These four films as well as Hichki have sold more tickets in theaters of China than India.
The figures for Hindi films are below and it shows how different this market is compared to the core overseas markets where films are watched by the ex pat sub continent audience. Shahrukh Khan who is the biggest star in these markets has the lowest grossing films in China.
The business of all Indian films released in China over the last decade or so are as follows.
- Dangal - $193.06 million
- Secret Superstar - $117.71 million
- Bajrangi Bhaijaan - $45.55 million
- Hindi Medium - $32.71 million
- Hichki - $19.70 million (30 Days)
- PK - $19.65 million
- Toilet Ek Prem Katha - $14.23 million
- Bahubali - The Conclusion - $11.93 million
- Sultan - $5.26 million
- Dhoom 3 - $3.24 million
- 3 Idiots - $2.91 million
- Delhi Safari - $1.51 million
- Bahubali - The Beginning - $1.12 million
- Happy New Year - $410k
- Fan - $220k
- My Name Is Khan - $71k