Categories

72.8k questions

278k answers

1.9k users

+4 votes
http://img01.ibnlive.in/ibnlive/uploads/380x253/jpg/2017/11/biju-phukan-1.jpg
Assam's prominent film actor Biju Phukan passed away at a private hospital here on Wednesday.

Phukan, who was suffering from cardiac ailments for last few days, was admitted to the Apollo Hospital in Guwahati around 4.30 p.m on Wednesday. The doctors said he breathed his last around 6.15 p.m.

"Phukan was suffering from breathing problems for last few days," family sources said.

While Phukan made his debut in the industry with "Dr. Bezbaruah" in 1970, the last film he acted in was "Door" released in 2016. His first role as the lead actor in "Baruar Songshar" followed by "Aranya" (1971) established him as a hero in the industry. Aranya was also adjudged the Best Regional Film at the National Film Awards.

Assam Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi condoled the death of actor.

"I am deeply saddened by Biju Phukan's death. Phukan hugely contributed to popularise Assamese cinema. With his death, a void has been created which will be hard to fill. I extend my condolences to the bereaved family and his fans. May his soul rest in peace," said the Governor in a statement.

Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal mourned the demise of the actor, saying: "I am grieved and saddened by the sudden demise of Biju Phukan who is largely responsible for promoting Assamese film industry and brought it to the present status," the Chief Minister said in a message.

The Media Adviser to Assam Chief Minister, Hrishikesh Goswami, visited the hospital immediately after the demise of the veteran actor and paid his tributes.

"We have grown up seeing Biju Phukan's acting. Phukan was personally very close to the Chief Minister and me as well. It is a great loss to the industry as well as to the society as a whole," said Goswami, adding that the veteran actor would be cremated with full state honour.

Veteran actor Samar Hazarika said: "Assam has lost a true actor and his death has created a void in the industry. We have suffered an irreparable loss. I have no words to express my feelings..."
Source Link: http://www.news18.com/amp/news/movies/assams-legendary-actor-biju-phukan-passes-away-1585089.html
closed
in Movies by All Time best! (302k points)

3 Answers

0 votes

Best answer

Never got opportunity to watch him on big screen when he was doing lead roles. But heard about his immense popularity and versatility. He was just a few steps behind to get the Superstar tag (he would have been the first one and maybe the last one). His demise is a big loss to Assam and almost a dead industry (Assamese film industry). #RIP Biju Phukan sir.

by Assistant Director (49.1k points)
selected by
0 votes

Assam mein bhi koi film industry hai? Maloom nahi tha.. Congrats Assam ke forum users ko ke maine aaj tumlogon ki existence ke baare mein jaana.

by Star (151k points)
+1

...and yeah rip that dude.

NE has a no of national and international awards winning movies.Manipuri movies like Ishanou,Imagi Ningthem,Matamgi Manipur etc are greats and won awards at Greece,Cannes and many at national level.Proud of Bhupen Hazarika (Rudaali)

+1

Bhupen hazarika .. I know that dude, he was in news recently regarding an award or something.. Congrats for that too.

0 votes

He was one of the best Assamese actor ever....RIP.

by Super-star (169k points)

No related questions found