settingsLogin | Registersettings
Show Menu

The time when Kannada Rakshana Vedike members tried to set themselves on fire if Veer Zaara got screened in Bengaluru.

+3 votes

http://www.thehindu.com/2004/11/16/stories/2004111609450400.htm

Armed with legal sanction and police protection, some exhibitors in Bangalore succeeded in screening Yash Chopra's Hindi film, Veer Zaara, on Monday and gave a "sensitive" twist to the already complicated film row.

The movie was slated for release on Monday at Cauvery, Vaibhav and Swagath cinemas amid demonstration threats from the Kannada Film Producers' Association and Kannada organisations.

The owners of these cinemas "openly challenged" them and decided to release the film and reportedly sought police protection. However, on Monday morning, the owners of these cinemas reportedly assured the Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce and other exhibitors that they would not release the Hindi film as it might lead to untoward incidents. But Cauvery cinema sprang a surprise by screening Veer Zaara at its 4.30 show.

Confirming the screening of the film at Cauvery cinema, the president of the Kannada Film Producers Association, Basanthkumar Patil, told The Hindu that the issue would be discussed at the industry meeting convened for Tuesday.

`Double fault'

The exhibitors committed "double fault" by releasing the film Veer Zaara. "First, it is in violation of the accord on the mutually-accepted code of three-week delay to be observed in accommodating non-Kannada films' commercial screening. Exhibitors are also a party to the accord reached on October 20, in the presence of the Deputy Chief Minister, Siddaramiah. On the other hand, the film in question is not released through proper channel. In accordance with the norms of the KFCC, no non-registered distributor has any trade right to release the film and even exhibitors are bound to follow this norm in the interest of trade and its ethics," Mr. Patil said.

The president of the KFCC, H.D. Gangaraj, reportedly met the owner of the Cauvery cinema on learning that "something was brewing." He reportedly urged the cinema owner to defer the release of the film as "screening of the film at this juncture might create problems." He was assured that the film would not be screened. But the film was released even as Mr. Gangaraj was driving back to his office, according to sources in the cinema industry.

However, some producers, exhibitors and distributors were not ready to take this version.

Activists held

The police on Monday arrested 30 Karnataka Rakshana Vedike activists who tried to enter the Cauvery cinema to protest against the release of the new Hindi movie, Veer Zaara, starring Shahrukh Khan.

The police said the vedike activists were arrested when they were trying to enter the auditorium after buying tickets. The activists raised pro-Kannada slogans. The High Grounds police have registered a case.

The cinema did not screen Veer Zaara and continued to screen an old Hindi movie, the police said.

in Movies by All Time best! (301k points)

4 Answers

0 votes

Best answer

Banning other industry films just because you can't compete with them was totally idiotic.. good that court decision came in favour of other language films

by Assistant Director (54.3k points)
selected by
+2 votes

so it was something different than the ind-pak issue.

by Assistant Director (43.1k points)

Yes thats why i said divide and hatred in the world. not just india. its a WW problem. and what you said about not knowing english in US. half the miami doesnt speak english. spanish and english are the two biggest languages. i can understand the emotional attachment. but in no way shape or form is it justified to get hurt or hurt someone physically cause of a language.

i guess it comes down to pride honor and arrogance. I understand your POV i just cant come to terms with it and thats why we agree to disagree

Hurting anyone physically can never be justified. Infact non-Kannada people do live in fear in regard to that. That's why they don't socialize with others but only their people. And this hurts the main point, they never get to learn our culture & language ergo they don't care... Our people don't get to know or respect their culture & language... Hate grows.
But it is justified to get hurt ourselves emotionally.. Then it means we're aware of the situation & we'll do the right thing.
Half the Miami doesn't speak English. Where do those people stand as far as whole America go? How influential / supportive are they outside Miami, infact inside Miami only beyond their own people?
Arguments can go on. It's not like everybody behaves like that clown Donald Trump.

well as far as spanish is concerned. every major company ranging from electricity providers to telephone carrier. Every single major company has spanish translators and call centers that speak spanish. i cannot think of one service provider that doesnt have spanish option involved. apart from that. The medical department covers all popular languages. at planned parenthood i also saw tamil and telegu. only went to a real hospital once when my sister was born and they had a chart at the front desk that had like 50 languages written on them. if someone didnt know how to speak english. they could just point towards the chart. now that you talk about donald trump. i want to familiarize you with another clown.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2015/sep/07/sarah-palin-tells-immigrants-to-the-us-to-speak-american-video

+1 vote

So was it just Veer Zaara or any other films like Aitraaz ? And also Swades released just few weeks after VZ so was Swades also banned ? I mean why just VeerZaara and why not the films released in that year and why not few weeks before Vz ? Why no protest why only VZ ? Is it because its a big movie ?

by Producer (114k points)

Every film faced it man.. Just shared an article with Veer-Zaara that's all.. Be it Tamil, Telugu, English, Hindi every non-Kannada films were forced to obey. It was with Veer-Zaara the rule was tried to be broken as even court has supported the screening of Veer-Zaara. After Veer-Zaara all other films released properly.
Before Veer-Zaara, we had to wait for 3-4 weeks for a non-Kannada film to release in Karnataka. In fact older films go re-runs... Kal Ho Naa Ho was re-released as Main Hoon Na was not allowed to release simultaneously. It released few weeks later.

+1 vote

Atleast at present we are Relieved. But one thing @suhas not only in Karnataka everywhere it is happening all over world to rescue local film industry. Take a look
1)China -Till today they are allowing only 34 films that to in chine language dubbed one screening say's it all.
2)Egypt, Pakistan,Russia ,Arab Countries-During 1960's Bollywood movies where rage in these countries compared to hollywood and local industries but to save local film industry they stopped/banned all bollywood movies screening in these countries.
But Thank god, SRK and his Fans in these countries made sure now to release Bollywood movies in these countries.
ETC....

by Location Manager (5.4k points)

Categories

72.8k questions

278k answers

342k comments

1.9k users

Related questions

+3 votes
8 answers 356 views
+6 votes
11 answers 606 views
606 views asked Dec 10, 2014 in General by Sanal Super-star (189k points)