0 votes

Before you answer the post, why do exhibitors want the occupancy to be 50%? Isn't that asking too much when they are aware that the virus can easily spread?

Theatre owners across northern and southern India have urged the government to allow them to reopen cinemas at least by the Dussehra weekend in October. Film trade members, cinema and multiplex owners in the two regions, who met senior officials of the home, and information and broadcasting ministries separately, have been given a patient hearing and assured of a response within the next couple of days.

Given that it has lost several lucrative holiday weekends of the year, the film industry is now pinning its hopes on Dussehra, particularly Diwali.

“We have requested the government to allow us to reopen cinemas with 50% capacity. Their main concern, as of now, is the seating of people in closed auditoriums where the virus spreads faster at a time when the number of cases is on the rise," said Sunil N Narang, secretary of the Telangana Film Chamber of Commerce and managing director of Asian Cinema Theatres.

Katragadda Prasad, president, South India Film Chamber of Commerce, said the government meeting was attended by representatives from the Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala industries who spoke of the huge losses they were incurring as a result of theatre shutdowns and that they were desperately seeking permits to reopen by 1 October.

Amit Khare, secretary, I&B ministry, had said at the Global AVGC Summit for the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) last week that reopening of cinemas was priority for the government too and that SOPs (standard operating procedures) for cinemas were ready and were waiting for clearance by the home ministry. Khare, who was responding to anxiety and concerns of the film production and exhibition sector brought up by Siddharth Roy Kapur, co-chairman, CII National Committee on media and entertainment, however, added that in the past, theatre owners had gone overboard in announcing reopening dates before an official confirmation had been made.

Roy had referred to the dismal state of the film business and the fact that the industry was deeply disappointed over reopening permits not being given as part of unlocking guidelines for September when every sector from malls to aviation, was allowed to operate.

India has already lost 12% of its movie screen count over the covid-19 pandemic as theatres, especially single screens, stare at bleak future with salaries and fixed incomes mounting and no foreseeable income. The Indian theatre business has lost box office worth ₹3,000 crore in the six months that cinemas have remained shut since March.

However, there are other challenges.

“Even if theatres did reopen, there is no content to play," film trade and exhibition expert Girish Johar pointed out referring to the fact that all films that were complete and ready for release, at least in Hindi, had already been acquired by video streaming platforms.

Hollywood has come to the rescue to some extent, Christopher Nolan’s Tenet and the new James Bond film, No Time To Die, have both committed to theatrical release in India, dubbed in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu, besides English. This July, Ajay Bijli, chairman and managing director, PVR Ltd had also admitted at a panel with Workplace Trends, a global forum to connect industry leaders and stakeholders that the first few offerings in movie theatres will be Hollywood releases. The first big Indian film, Akshay Kumar’s Sooryavanshi will only arrive for Diwali in November.

Source Link: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/theatre-owners-urge-government-to-reopen-cinemas-before-dussehra-11599807961766.html
asked in Cinematic Discussion by Unit Manager (36.1k points)
100% Accept Rate

4 Answers

0 votes

Best answer

And the suggestion is not to listen to them. I know they want business but at the moment things are very dangerous. And I dont see SV or any biggie coming this year. All of them will go to OTT.

If things stabilize, start with Hollywood by Xmas. And then Radhe and Brahmastra and others can follow suit post April next year.

answered by Super-star (173k points)
selected by

Sadly, cinema exteriors don't care about the virus because they just want their business to reopen. Gov will listen to them even though they shouldn't.

How can Sooryavanshi cross 200cr if occupancy ends being 50%? That's why I said the virus can spread if they impose occupancy to higher a per cent. It needs to be limited up to 30%.

I highly doubt both are going to OTT hence producer may not do that. Frankly, if they do release both movies in cinema then 200cr is impossible. It's to imagine that they will work at the BO due to pandemic.

+1 vote

inko 1 din me 10-12 lakh case ke bina chain nhi milega

answered by Location Manager (6k points)

These exhibitors don't care about the virus. They just want to save their business.

I don't know why they are begging the gov to increase the capacity to 50% when the virus can spread easily. Gov should use their common sense and not listen to their suggestion. Occupancy needs to be around 30% in my opinion.

looking at the current condition normalcy is not returning before 2022 and no release this year absolutely

0 votes

It is highly unlikely that any film will release this year and chances of opening cinema in next 6 months is minimal

answered by Costume designer (1.1k points)

Will the gov listen to the cinema exhibitors if they demanding it to reopen? I heard they are reopening by the 1st Oct.

I really don't how know Sooryavanshi will be able to cross 200cr during this pandemic if they gov imposes the occupancy up 50%. This is why I asked the question which I put in bold because exhibitors should know if the capacity is 50% then the virus can spread.

0 votes

Its a waste of idea to reopen theaters.

first of all where are the new movies???

and what profit will they get with theatres running to 20-30%??

All Waited for this long ,shall wait for another 4-5 months for the arrival of vaccine.

India should get 5k cases per day,that is when everything can be normal/

answered by Location Manager (7.1k points)

Cinema exibitors don't care about the virus apart from their money. Their logic is like ''If Gyms, Resturants, Temples and so and so' can reopen then why can't cinema?''

These duffers think Sooryavanshi will bring back its audiences once cinema reopens. So according to them, normality will return by Diwali. How can they expect this movie to cross 200cr if the occupancy is going to be low? Unless a miracle happens giggle)

Another thing, is they are begging the gov to impose the occupancy 50%? That's were the virus will spead and if gov listens to their suggestions then they stupid. Capaicity needs to be 25-30%

Related questions

+1 vote
3 answers 138 views
138 views asked May 15 in Cinematic Discussion by mumbo jumbo Location Manager (6k points)
+5 votes
2 answers 200 views