0 votes
I mean pre covid, there were 2 films on an average every Friday in theater.

But now since June we saw only Gulabo-Sitabo, Lootcase, Dil bechara, Shakuntala Devi etc etc.

Then what about rest small budget films ? What happened to them as Netflix or Prime or other OTT may not purchase them like distributors do for theaters.

So where are those films ?
asked in Cinematic Discussion by Camera Operator (12k points)
93% Accept Rate

Not everybody can crack the OTT deal.

Many films have been left unsold due to the deal falling through. Whatever OTT platforms have purchased, only those films have released.

Just because theater is shut doesn't mean OTT platforms will buy into every film. It is not profitable for the OTT platforms. Infact barring Dil Bechara for obvious reasons, all other OTT releases have fared badly and their main purpose is to increase subscription which hasn't happened.

The only OTT release till date during lockdown which would've become a theatrical hit was Gunjan Saxena, rest including Dil Bechara would've bombed at the box office. That tells you the scenario perfectly.

1 Answer

0 votes

Shooting isn't over yet for most of the films. Until the shooting is complete, or close to completion, they wouldn't sell the streaming rights to any OTT platform.

Films like Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2, Hungama 2, Attack, Satyameva Jayate 2 aren't complete. That's why they aren't releasing.

I dont think we will see any new Bollywood content on Prime, Netflix have already released their biggest movie in Gunjan Saxena. Maybe Ludo is another movie people might watch. Remaining 14-15 films are duds.

Hotstar still has it's trump cards left which should release in September. And with the IPL coming up around the same time, there will be a huge increase in subscription.

So only the Hotstar movies are left to release, unless there are new contracts made once shooting of the remaining films are complete.

answered by Art Director (2.9k points)

I expect Bhuj and Lakshmi bomb to come on hotstar in October

Dont know about Bhuj.

Laxmmi Bomb trailer is coming on 18th August. So either 9th September (Akshay's birthday) or 11th September. Since they release a film every 2 weeks.

Then maybe Big Bull and last would be Bhuj

I wasn't talking about Known films but small Unknown films which release in 200-300-500-1000 screens Pre Covid.

What about these films I was asking. Obviously these films were scheduled for March April etc but Covid hampered the releases.
Next ?

So those movies which didn't have a life during theatrical release, barely getting 200-500 screens, you expect them to release on OTT? No one watched such films when it released in the theatres, why would any platform purchase the streaming rights for such small films?

Anyway, the 17 films announced by Netflix does consist of some films which wouldn't have gotten more than 500 screens had they released in the theatres. Most of these films are dumped on Netflix than on other platforms for some reason.