+1 vote

Randeep Hooda is known for his intense and versatile roles in Bollywood, and beyond. He has always managed to make us fall in love with his characters – be it a kidnapper in 2014 film Highway or a fashion and wildlife photographer in Murder 3. He might not be your regular Bollywood hero who stars in a movie often, but he never fails to impress us with his nuanced performances whenever he does.

He might not be your regular Bollywood hero who stars in a movie often, but he never fails to impress us with his nuanced performances whenever he does.

“The reason why you like me is because I put in a lot of work in every film and that takes time,” he says, on being complimented for his performances.

“I don’t like to repeat myself and every character is a new world for myself and for the audience I try and create. And that is my joy,” he added in a conversation with YourStory Founder and CEO Shradha Sharma.

People often try to idolise the notables from the field to become versions of them. Randeep however always strives to be his true self.

Randeep who had taught in Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), often asks his students about the kind of actor they want to be.

“People used to come up with everything – from Robert De Niro and Jack Nicholson to Shahrukh Khan and Salman Khan. Some of the students follow me and ask what actor I want to be. I tell them that I’ve always only wanted to be Randeep Hooda,” says the actor, adding that this has given him an identity too.

The actor, however, says that he has been choosy when it comes to movies.
“I have been a bit choosy about things because unless it touches my heart, it is never gonna touch anybody else’s,” he says.

He further adds that he wants to do movies with international themes that are not just subjective to India but can be appreciated by global audiences.

“Those kind of projects, however, are not easy to come by for someone like me who is not really a mingler, especially within the film fraternity. I just want to be better at what I do and that only comes from the choices made from the heart. And those choices are not very many.”

For his dedication to environmental causes, the United Nations Environmental Programme appointed him as the ambassador for Conservation of Migratory Species in February.

“I do my own thing and I feel very privileged that my work is appreciated. There is so much love and respect I get for it. I try and give the best to my work. That reduces my volume of work and also keeps me hungry for the next rent check so that I don’t get complacent,” says the actor.

“The worst things in life teach you the best things. I think I am a better person now. I imbibe a lot of Sikhism and there’s a sense of seva, and gratitude in me,” he adds, signing off.

Source Link: https://yourstory.com/2020/07/bollywood-actor-randeep-hooda-salman-shah-rukh-khan
asked in General Queries by All Time best! (281k points)
99% Accept Rate

4 Answers

0 votes

Best answer

You wrote Srk & Salman i read two mighty superstars of bollywood.
One can realise by seeing fans outside Mannat on 2nd November & Galaxy Apartment on 27 December respectively.

answered by Cinematographer (95.1k points)
selected by

Well everything apart yr but seriously man kon hote hai ye log? Kya inpe koi kaam dhanda nahi hota hai kya?
I mean kiyo koi jaake khada rahega waha din bhar yr

Remember the dialogue from the movie Fan..
Woh sirf star nahi, balke duniya hai meri!

And that movie boombed. I think ye booked audience rehti atleast in present time. Stars paisa deke karwate hai ye sab.

+1

@Sandeep you've no idea. I've witnessed this craze firsthand last year EID. Though I am not the fan who likes to stand infront of houses of favorite stars, I am the fan who travels 1000kms to watch the favorite actor's films in his family's favorite theaters.

Commenting is easy. Come out & see the actual craze for stars not just Salman.

And speaking of Salman, post Bharat screening in Gaiety Galaxy, I remember going to Bhaijaanz & listen to 6 fans seriously talk about Salman's family. I have never heard anybody speaking about Sohail Khan's son with such concern. They discussed as though discussing their own family members.

The entire road to galaxy apartments were blocked but I was on my way to Bandra Bandstand without realising Mannat is right opposite to it. And the fans... Uuff. That was a sight to behold. All of it just to see the glimpse of him. A family had come from Pune. If I stood there for long then I would add on (and I had travelled all the way from Bengaluru to watch Bharat). So if Srk could command this even with the streak of flops, imagine Salman's pull. These are not the ones relying on their films box office to have a hold on fans. They go beyond. And nobody comes & speaks to the fans. Mannat, if Srk comes on the roof/balcony, for the 1000s standing below, do you think the view would be crystal clear? No. just the vague glimpse is enough. While I walked towards Bandra Bandstand, the crowd started running towards Mannat over the rumour "Abram is on the balcony". You don't buy this. Everybody in the industry knows this. That is also exactly why Salman is such a huge megastar across the nation.

Seriously, man if you're telling it then there has to be something real about it. But, personally I think that will be one of the dumbest thing to do. Man, its like you don't value your life even a bit that you want to run behind some who would not even recognize you ever. Thats fooling yourself.

+1

Well how do you explain an emotion?

I draw the line at me wanting to cross off things from my to do list. And waiting outside someone's house is not my thing.

Ofcourse I did kinda bunk my office hours (lied to manager that I was on a client meeting) to attend Dabangg 3 trailer launch. I spent half a day reaching out to organizers to let me in as i didn't have the passes & fans passes was sold out. Only time I sat on the stairs waiting for the business head. But I see it differently as there were 5 others literally begging for the passes. I took the leadership & ensured all of them were allowed. Earned myself contacts. Infact trailer launch happened at 6pm, I was in PVR hall at 3pm & became friends with the technical team. Was part of the testing the live streaming on the big screen. By the time trailer launch happened, apart from technical team + organizers + marketing team + PVR managers I was even friends with the distributor's team, eventually the actual Kannada celebrities part of Kannada dubbing of Dabangg 3. It was fun. Also my instincts kicked in, didn't ask for selfie with them.

However, when Salman visited Bengaluru ETA Mall for Dabangg 3 promotion, I went there because one of my friend who is also mad salmaniac ran to the mall. I went for her, man the chaos. Was on the ground floor, the moment Salman arrived on 3rd floor, we all got badly stomped by fans who went crazy. Recorded the video, clicked his pic but then when he left, everyone ran behind him including my friend. Again my usual behavior kicked in, didn't run behind. But to make her happy, I got the selfies with the celebrities whom I skipped during trailer launch. What pissed me off later was CM Yedyurappa's grandson is a colleague. A consultant in our company. His entire family met Salman, Sudeep & entire crew at the hotel. Mall visit was the last event. If we knew early then would've got special personal meeting by asking the colleague. Missed opportunity.

One thing I realised, I do things I want, the way I want. I can never go full form excited fan running around the favorite. Just not in my character but if given a chance to meet, definitely would be excited & would act like every other fan.. shy, speechless & eventually getting back to my head to tell how happy I am to have met the person.

Again, the madness was witnessed firsthand. Bengaluru is Sudeep's adda but Salman stole the show when he arrived. Before visiting the mall, was browsing Sudeep's fan page where everyone kept mocking "people will come only for Sudeep not for Salman" but in the mall it was only Salman fans in each & every floor. During trailer launch Sudeep fans dominated by cheering for Sudeep & eventually the competition was sorted & both Salman-Sudeep fans were asked to cheer together. But at the mall, it was just Bhai magic.

+1

Sandeep your antics on the forum also indicate you don't value your own time. But then, we tolerate it right?

I don't have problem with those fanatics Suhas. Those people around make us feel why people like SRK and Salman are different from us. All you said about visiting a Mall and for trailer launch is acceptable. It can be justified. But, standing outside their homes as it they will come and take a pic with each of you is just out of my mind. Thats what makes me think that how little those people value their own existence.

But why don't people stand in front of aamir's house?? Probably ppl don't even know where he lives..so sad

@Sandeep that is what loyalty is among fandom. Fans on every Sunday gather outside Jannat to get a glimpse of Big B. It's a ritual. Every Sunday, Big B will come out & greet the fans, wave at them.

NTR Sr house was on the way to Tirupati. Buses had mandatory stop infront of his house so that people can gather outside his house to worship him. He & his house was considered that holy.

Critiquing this aside, you need to see what formed this bond & how strong it is. It's in the human nature to find solace is another person. This is what you see in followers of Modi. Mocking them as bh-kts aside, this clearly shows how much they trust him. Just giving an example.

0 votes

Only frustrated/out of work actors have an issue with the Kahns etc. SSR himself was an extremely mediocre actor. That he is no more has naturally brought out the hypocrisy in people these days.

He tried copying SRK in Dil bechara too and failed miserably. SRK and Salman don't come along everyday. Deal with it. That's why they are legends

answered by Super-star (173k points)

don't run away scared Sandeep. Let's discuss this hypocrisy today. I would love to hear what you gotta say.

No no @Intense I better stay away from it

intense bhaiya ko quarantine me troll hone ka naya shauk chadha hai

Quarantine? Kaunsa quarantine bhai? Lockdown kehte hain use. Opinion hai mera. Ab 2-3 ranbir fan hain india men unhe pasand naa aaye to kya karun main?

0 votes

Salman Khan is a individual actor .He doesn't copy anybody.He is not a bit of Dilip Kumar,Dev Anand,Raj Kapoor nor Rajesh Khanna or Amitabh.

answered by Editor (88.8k points)
0 votes

Thoughts came to my mind....one by one

First....Randeep can say that cz he as an actor looked better in Sultan than Salman Khan in whatever screen space he got

Second thought.....but Salman was better than Randeep in drunken scene of Kick

Third thought.......even Amitabh was blamed of copying Dilip Kumar....SRK was blamed of copying Dilip and Amitabh.......SRK himself said that one whole scene of Darr was a copy of Nana Patekar................BUT, HE DID IT IN HIS OWN WAY

This philosophical thought of ''be yourself'' has some meaning to it if an aspiring actor does not realize that there is a difference in copying and making it yours rather than 'just copying'.......Michael Jackson to Shakespeare to Great Imran Khan to Wasim Akram to Shah Rukh Khan.....everybody tried to copy a senior or wanted to become that senior......and we call that copying ''inspired by''

So there is nothing wrong in copying an actor smartly like Shahid Kapoor did in Jab We Met, or you can be foolish and copy too much like he did in Kismet Konnection.......and see today....Shahid Kapoor is undoubtedly one of the best Star/Actors ever produced in India

Field you want to work in can never inspire you as much as a person can, unless you want to become an astronaut.........you need to see that in somebody else to dream for.....and then you see your inspirational personality too much.....watching his films again and again......and then you become that personality even unintentionally......son acts like his father not just because of genes but also because he saw his father as an inspiration, A HERO...same happens with an actor or wrestler or boxer or director.....you just want to be like your inspiration....so there is nothing wrong in wanting to become somebody else, but losing your ownself is not a cost one should pay

answered by Unit Manager (35.1k points)
+1

You had to mention that mediocre scene from Kick huh. Anyways Randeep tried really hard, that is one scene from the whole movie that struck out for Randeep. And it was no challenging scene for Salman either. It is in Sultan where they both shine. Also Kick was where Randeep did it casually & Salman had specific moments to shine as an actor while rest all were blurred by his screen presence or what they scream "swag". A dedicated Salman who is enjoying his character is always a treat, otherwise we get Race 3 or Main Aur Mrs Khanna. You get an entirely disinterested Salman or a dedicated one who is not happy playing the role.

Srk was compared that way only initially & then when he did Devdas. Madhavan was praised like anything down south but the moment he acted in RHTDM the critics ripped him apart as SRk copycat. He acted the same as his Tamil films & we didn't feel that way. Similarly Shahid Kapoor till 2006 was blamed to be Srk copy cat. It is to do more with individual preference.

I believe you need to grow as an actor to find your own place. Not every actor gets to have his own space & leave a mark. For instance Hrithik, the very first film he was welcomed like anything. Touted as fantastic actor. Only after years, his initial performance were started to be reviewed properly otherwise it was only MPKDH which was criticised rest all mostly were praised. When the acting improved actually then they could notice the difference.

But here what Randeep Hooda was more than mere acting. They want to be the next Srk or Salman without preparation. You can't be them ever & definitely can't be successful apeing them. That sort for stardom takes decades to build. Having inspiration is one thing, but being focused matters. "Mein ek din Shah Rukh Khan jaisa bada star banunga" is an understandable line but the one saying wouldn't know how to be one. Infact they are yet to see the reality. In the end you gotta to be you & achieve your own place up there. Reason why there is only one Salman Khan, only one Amitabh Bachchan, only one Rajinikanth.

that drinking scene was a surprise for me back then watching Randeep acting with difficulty when every actor of Bollywood is supposed to be doing a drunken scene every now and then....so that only came to mind from Kick

To be SRK, yes it is almost impossible......but your inspiration can be anyone....and to have best one as your inspiration is always good if you have a plan of action and dedication...as Sehwag once said, I came to become Sachin and failed, but in the process I became Sehwag

Related questions

+1 vote
1 answer 121 views
+4 votes
1 answer 104 views