+3 votes

With so many stars & super stars in Bollywood today, I compiled those films which became successes at the BO, and then changed the careers of the leading stars involved. Quite an interesting find: 

1. Akshay Kumar: An up and down career, he didn't have a streak of hits in the early days, but Bhagam Bhag changed it for a while. 5 back to back successes in the comedy genre from 2006-08 (baring Tashan, though that had release issues). Went down real fast, then came back super strongly with Airlift. Social comedy, Patriotic films, slapstick comedy, he did it all. Now with a successful 2019, and 4 big releases which were to release this year, he is going to have some big grossers ahead. 

2. Salman Khan: Needless to say, Dabangg changed it completely for him. No one even came close and enjoyed a stupendous run till TZH. A few below average performers in the last 2 years, still comfortably up there. He just needs to stop meddling with the process of film making and completely trust the directors instincts. Kick 2 and Tiger 3 will be very important films for him and if those become huge 300 (or 400cr) films, then this phase would just be termed as a mini hiccup.

3. Shahrukh Khan: While Baazigar & Darr showed the world his negative side and got all the accolades for the films, DDLJ's success gave the world a Bollywood romantic hero. While DDLJ was just one success, the films which released later showed his box office clout. Pardes, DTPH, KKHH, Mohabattein, K3G. He continued this streak till 2010 (until Salman took the number 1 spot). Had a good run till Dilwale, now having a terrible run at the box office. Nevertheless, DDLJ was that film which changed his film trajectory. 

4. Aamir Khan: With the volume of films being less, it's difficult to say which film was the turning point. But Raja Hindustani was the closest. He had a few flops before this film, but since RH, he has given back to back big grossers, baring the experimental films like 1947 Earth & Mangal Pandey. After a 4 year hiatus from 2001-05, RDB in 2006 was another game changer and a good way to come back into the industry. Since then, multiple HGOTY and many records broken.

5. Hrithik Roshan: With a blockbuster start to his career, he had a few ups and downs. He had a great opportunity in 2006 to overtake all the senior actors and race to the top with Krrish & Dhoom 2. Both films were the highest openers in 2006, broke several records, several best actor awards etc. What could have been a game changing career was ruined with films like Kites, Guzaarish & ZNMD. While most people enjoyed ZNMD, it isn't a film to attain super stardom for anyone. War did bring him back into the game, but with no new movie announced, he isn't doing the right thing with all the goodwill he has received. 

6. Ajay Devgn: Very hard to say for him. After going through his film list, I realised he has never had 3 back to back successes until Golmaal Again. With a disastrous 2000s and the 2010s being good because of the Rohit Shetty films, it has been a good run for him since Golmaal Again with 2 Blockbusters, 2 Hits and 1 Semi Hit. With an interesting line of releases coming, this might be the game changing moment in his career. 

7. Ranbir Kapoor: Could have been a SRK 2.0 if he continued on the goodwill of YJHD, but sadly the "European directors" messed it up for him. Sanju crossed the 300cr mark, but its been 2 years, his much awaited film being postponed (ironically this is a trilogy. I wonder when the next 2 part will release if the 1st movie is taking so long). A decent line up with Shamshera, Bramhastra and a Luv Ranjan film, it will be interesting to see if Sanju helped his stardom or not. 

8. Ranveer Singh: Given 3 big successes with SLB and a Blockbuster with Rohit Shetty, his star power is still questionable. Gully Boy isn't a film to judge a star. With 83, Jayeshbhai Jordaar and Takht to release, another star to look out for. SLB gave him a break in Ram Leela and he is in the position he is today because of that film. 

9. Tiger Shroff: People were ready to rule him off with 2 back to back flops in Flying Jatt & Munna Michael but Baaghi 2 crossing 160cr was unimaginable. Baaghi 3 as well despite being terrible, was nearing 120-130crs had it not been for the virus. It has to be seen if the action genre will keep saving him and for how long will Nadiadwala cast him. 

10. Varun Dhawan: 2017 was a great year for him with BKD and Judwaa 2. But films like October and Sui Dhaaga didn't improve the star power and Kalank being boring really hampered his star power. Street Dancer 3 also being a bad film didn't help his case. This makes Coolie No 1 a very very important film for him or else we might see a premature end to his career. 

asked in Cinematic Discussion by Art Director (2.9k points)
86% Accept Rate

edited by

2 Answers

0 votes

Best answer

Salman has done so well, but KEKD and that remake of Mulshi Pattern to showcase Aaayush is some serious mind mess up. I highly doubt how SK is going to go post Radhe.

Akshay was peaking at the right time, Sooryavanshi was his huge chance at a hgoty and a 300cr movie. Corona has messed it for him. A historical like Prithviraj could go either way and the Bell Bottoms and the Bacchan Pandeys wont give him those big blockbusters he needs to stake a claim for the top spot

Aamir again, 3 years no release, is serious pressure, LSC is a remake of a classic. All eyes on Aamir to deliver again (I feel he will since he is a genius)

SRK will mess up hirani too, high chances the latter gives his first flop

HR........Bhai Krrish 4 aur War 2 announce kar do, thoda kaam kar lo. He enjoys being at home it seems.

Ajay: Tanhaji did the trick, his future line up is impressive, he's gonna go the way he is going. One BB, then a few hits, the random flop etc.

answered by Super-star (173k points)
selected by

I am really scared for KEKD. Casting Aayush Sharma, Zahir Iqbal & Sooraj Pancholi as his younger brothers. He is making the same mistakes he did in Race 3 and Dabangg 3.

On top of this, Farhad Samji as the director and writer post HF4 and Baaghi 3....

I have seen the Tamil film Veeram (Ajith Kumar) this movie is based on, and the Telugu remake Katamarayudu (Pawan Kalyan). The film will solely work on the action and comedy sequences as the story isn't that strong. But I'm not getting good vibes from this film.

I haven't heard anything about Mulshi Pattern now, but it's seems like a way to help out his brother in law. Nothing else.

Regarding HR, patience my friend. Aa jayega announcement. War 2 almost confirmed hai. Krrish 4 bhi almost confirmed. But announce kare toh sab HR fans chain ki saans le paaye.

HR needs more movies asap. Waiting for the announcement.

Speaking of Mulshi Pattern, have read Aayush has the meatier role, now come on....sidelining yourself to give that guy a chance is stupidity. I hope KEKD gets shelved somehow, that supporting cast is like Race 3.

KEKD gets shelved. Lol! He will release it on Eid 2021. Nothing is going to stop him for this one.

I heard that about Mulshi Pattern, sidelining himself. His fans aren't going to be pleased if he keeps helping his friends and family out each time. Bring back the BB, Sultan and TZH days where he would completely immerse into the director's vision and give those 3cr+ footfalls.

If not, then we will see films struggling to do well at the BO.

+1

I fear he could be slipping back to his 2000--09 habits. Helping others at the cost of himself.

0 votes

Akshay is probably now the safest as he has multiple films ready to release. His highest point was 2007/2008. His films used to do well in overseas also. It'll be a missed chance for askhay if sooryavanshi gets a digital release.

Aamir hit his peak in 2009 after huge bbs and also the trust of audience. But then he went in hibernation and returned after 3 years. His volume is just too low. And LSC will release after 3 years depending on the situation.

Srk somehow lost it since don 2. I don't think hirani will ever mess up...so a blockbuster for srk whenever it releases.

Last one decade is enough for Salman. He will be back if he does t3 by 2023. But after that it might be too late.

Hr decides to go on a holiday after every film...so let him enjoy that

Ajay has golmaal 5,6,7,8... And the shetty universe. So he will easily get 3/4 bb in next 5 years.

answered by Art Director (3k points)
+1

If SRK puts in vfx here high chances of messing this up.

No man. Rkh is a big director. The only director whose film people will probably go to watch even without any star presence. And this is srk's last chance of a comeback..so he will try not to put any pressure and mess it up.

Ajay has Golmaal 5,6,7,8. Fell from my chair after reading this!

SRK-Hirani sounds like a good combo. Resurrected Sanjay Dutt's career, gave 2 ATBBs with Aamir and (almost) resurrected Ranbir's career. He might do the trick for SRK. It will be solid script for sure, but as in the case of Salman, SRK has to fully immerse into the director's vision and only concentrate on the acting department. It will work for him.

If it's made according to Hirani's vision, SRK shall bounce back with an ATBB.