Salman Khan's last south remake was Kick in 2014. Ignoring PRDP (remake/rehashed version of Rajshri's own which is common with Barjatya), a lot has already been discussed on why Tubelight failed & Bharat underperformed.
It still all comes down to how well they present the remake. Last year's biggest hit Kabir Singh is still a Telugu remake that to scene to scene. Ofcourse the other 3 south remakes did fail - Malaal [7/G Rainbow Colony - Tamil], Prassthanam [Prassthanam - Telugu] & Ujda Chapman [Ondu Motteya Kathe - Kannada] but all of them were done at the promotional level itself. Malaal deserved better treatment considering even after 15 years 7/G Rainbow Colony stands relevant. Prassthanam was directed by the original director but the film just couldn't stand the test of time even though original version is far superior. Lack of awareness too worked against it. Ujda Chaman just ruined the original film entirely by making it too loud comedy & robbing it off the sweet subtleness of the original.
Let's see how these remakes work this year. Infact 2021 is an year full of remakes & not just south.
- Jawaani Jaaneman - remake of 2010 Aregentinian Spanish film Igualita a mi.
- Baaghi 3 - remake of Tamil movie Vettai.
- Coolie No. 1 - though remake of Govinda's version which itself was a remake of 1993 Tamil movie Chinna Mappillai.
- Dil Bechara - remake of The Fault in our Stars.
- The Girl on the Train - remake of well The Girl on the Train.
- Radhe - remake of Korean movie The Outlaws.
- Laxmmi Bomb - remake of Tamil movie Kanchana.
- Nikamma - remake of Telugu movie MCA - Middle Class Abbayi.
- Jersey - remake of Telugu movie Jersey.
- Laal Singh Chadha - remake of Forrest Gump.
And we can firmly expect Hungama 2, Sadak 2 to obviously be remakes considering their prequels were & ofcourse Priyadarshan as well as Mahesh Bhatt is known for the same.
Also I am interested in knowing whose remake will be Sooryavanshi & Chehre.