War has managed to become the top grossing Indian film after two years as it was Dangal in 2016 that topped the charts last and then the South dominated with Bahubali - The Conclusion (2017) and 2.0 (2018). Its good to see a Hindi film on top but can this last will is the real question as Hindi films are struggling for the real big numbers.
It was a close call with War and Saaho doing very similar numbers but War had the slight edge. These were the only two films to collect 300 crore nett plus this year but it came in all formats. In terms of GROSS numbers then War manages to extend its release a little. The numbers are well short of of the toppers of the last year as Bahubali - The Conclusion has 1115.86 crore and 2.0 has 413.30 crore.
There have been only five years in the history of Indian cinema when a non Hindi film has topped the charts and those are Sivaji in 2007, Endhiran in 2010, Bahubali - The Beginning in 2015, Bahubali - The Conclusion in 2017 and 2.0 in 2018. In 1948 there was Chandralekha but that film was partly shot in Hindi so is still a Hindi film and more so the Tamil version did not do well anyway and most of the numbers came in Hindi.
War needed the dubbed versions to get top spot and going forward there is a bigger chance that South films will do big numbers in Hindi than vice versa which gives them a bigger chance of claiming top spot. The top NETT grossing films on all formats in India this year are as follows.
1. War - 3,03,21,50,000
2. Saaho - 3,02,31,00,000
3. Kabir Singh - 2,76,34,00,000
4. Uri - The Surgical Strike - 2,44,00,50,000
5. Housefull 4 - 2,05,60,50,000
6. Bharat - 1,97,34,50,000
7, Bigil - 1,96,83,00,000
8. Mission Mangal - 1,92,67,00,000
9. Syeraa Narasimha Reddy - 1,82,73,00,000
10. Kesari - 1,51,87,50,000
11. Total Dhamaal - 1,50,07,50,000
12. Chhichhore - 1,47,32,50,000
13. Super 30 - 1,47,00,00,000
14.Good Newwz - 1,44,44,00,000 apprx (9 days)
15. Petta - 1,41,91,00,000
16. Dream Girl - 1,39,37,00,000
17. Dabangg 3 - 1,38,25,00,000 apprx (16 days)
18. Gully Boy - 1,34,21,00,000
19. Maharashi - 1,31,84,00,000
20. Viswasam - 1,24,65,00,000