18. nitesh singh - 74 points
  19. Bollywood_on_d_Rocks - 74 points
  20. power - 64 points
  21. mr.hola - 59 points
  22. Suhas - 59 points
  23. Lambodar - 49 points
  24. Santosh - 46 points
  25. venkat - 44 points
All the Articles, images, and other info shared here by the community, are copyrighted to their owners. No copyright infringement is ever intended by Its Box Office, or by the community. If you have any issues with the content used, please use the feedback section to reach us.
+2 votes
I'm mentioning some of female directors with their notable work.

Mira Nair: Salaam Bombay, Monsoon Wedding, Fundamentalist Reluctant, The Namshake, Kamasutra: A Tale Of Love
Deepa Mehta: Earth, Fire, Water, Midnight Children
Meghna Gulzar: Talwar & Raazi
Zoya Akhtar: Luck By Chance, ZNMD, Gully Boy
Nandita Das: Firaaq, Manto
Alankrita Srivastav: Lipstick Under My Burkha
Konkana Sen Sharma: A Death in the Gunj
Reema Kagti: Gold, Talaash
Kiran Rao: Dhobi Ghat
Anjali Menon: Bangalore Days, Koode
Gauri Shinde: English Vinglish, Dear Zindagi
Ashwini Iyer Tiwari: Nil Battey Sannata, Bareilly Ki Barfi
Tanuja Chandra: Qarib Qarib Singlle (My personal favorite), Sangharsh, Dushman
Shonali Bose: Margarita with a Straw
Leena Yadav: Parched

And this year we welcome Shelly Chopra Dher with Ek Ladki Ko Dekha To Aisa Laga.
in Box Office Discussions by Assistant Director (52.3k points)
70% Accept Rate

BOI would like to have a word with you

Haha. Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding made whooping 14 million US dollars in America in 2002 with only 254 screens that's still unbreakable by any Khan and Kapoor. BOI ko yeh batao koi.

Zoya Akhtar. I liked all films of her with Dil Dhadakne do being least liker one. I liked her filmmaking style.

10 Answers

+1 vote

None Of Them, All Make Boring Films!

by Unit Manager (39.5k points)

Either you haven't watched all these films or you have terrible tatse of cinema.

At least, Bareilly Ki Barfi, Bangalore Days, English Vinglish, Talvar, Gold are highly entertaining film with great box office success.

+1

I don't Watch Films Whose Trailer Dont Appeal To Me, I Have A Certain Taste For Movies Or For That Matter TV Shows/Web Series, For Me Your Taste Is Poor As You Like Such Boring Films And Yes Most Of The People Have Same Kind Of Taste Which I Have So It Would Be Better You Dont Comment On My Taste Its My Money And Time And I Will Decide What To Watch.

Before I End I Would Like To List The Films I Watched- Talaash, Dear Zindagi, English Vinglish And Bareily Ki Barfi.

Out Of These Films I Only Liked Bareily Ki Barfi, Rajkumar Rao Was Excellent As Badass Babua That Film Was Entertaining Bt Its An Exception, I Meant They Generally Make Boring Films As Per My Taste And Majority Of People's Taste!

Hoga bashing ab tumhara

Hahha

0 votes

Mention the one who makes the most entertaining movies: Farah Khan. She's the female director who's broken the glass ceiling and has competed with top male directors. I don't think there are other female directors who have given record openers, HGOTY and blockbuster movies. Even in the US the entire top 50 grossers of all time have just 1 female directed movie, Frozen (that too with a male co-director).

from this list of yours, I would go with Zoya Akhtar (only because of ZNMD), Gauri Shinde, and Ashwini Iyer Tiwari (one of the most promising directors today).

In fact Ashwini's both movies are special to me. NBS made me cry like a baby. I didn't close the movie during the credits like I usually do and instead cried through them. And BKB was the first non-superstar movie in years that I have rewatched many times. Otherwise there aren't non-superstar movies from 2014, 15 and 16 that I rewatch. But BKB started that and since then I've also rewatched Stree, Badhai Ho, Andhadhun and SKTKS a few times. It also gave big boosts to some actors that I really like and actively root for (Ayushmann, Rajkumar, Kriti, Pankaj Tripathi).

by Assistant Director (49.2k points)
+1

Absolutely Agree About Farah Khan She Is Best Female Director IMO And Most Successful As Well, All Her Films Have Been Successful 1 Hit 1 Semi Hit 1 Blockbuster 1 Super Hit And 2 Films Have Genuinely Been Good Entertaining Films Liked By Majority Of Audience And Her Films Have Repeat Value As Well On TV!

+1

yes, and she should be directing more often and should serve as an inspiration for many other female directors as well. most of them go towards the less commercial route but then there's Farah Khan who gets huge openings and top superstars as well.

Reema Kagti also got superstars like Aamir and Akshay but was unable to get the desired results both times.

+1

Yes I Agree

Farah khan does make craps but ppl really like it. All her films open well main hoon na, om shanti om, tmk, hny
Ab final result jo b ho but every star should work with her agar opening tagdi to film bhi kahin na kahin jaa sakti hai
Don't forget last Hgoty and last HIT of srk was with her only

0 votes

Zoya ma'am..........

by Second Unit Director (77.3k points)
0 votes

Zoya definitely ZNMD we all know how good it was and DDD also was pretty decent.
I am not fan of European storytelling tho

by Art Director (2.7k points)
0 votes

I will go for Zoya. She makes balanced films. Good combo of content and commercial cinema.

I like all 4 films of her.

by Second Unit Director (77.5k points)
0 votes

None of them have impressed me except in a few scenes or movies

by Executive Producer (66.6k points)
0 votes

Zoya Akhtar , Meghna Gulzar !!

by Producer (103k points)
0 votes

Farah Khan is my best female director, best in the Masala Genre; I like Tees Maar Khan a lot too.

by Camera Operator (8.3k points)
0 votes

Reema kagti .,
Meghna Gulzar....

Impressed by their movies....

by Assistant Director (48.6k points)
0 votes

All female director made movies only for limited audience section and farah khan making movies only for shahrukh khan till now and all his movies doing good only for shahrukh khan if any other actor appart from khans than movies bombed at the box office.

So none of them.

by Production Accountant (28.3k points)

you think movies like MHN and OSO would bomb if they didn't have one of the Khans in them?

OSO Definitely Not Blockbuster Max. Its A Hit Tag Movie If Khans Not There. But MHN Not because Movie Is Good But Collection Is Much lesser And May Be Semi Hit Verdict.

Related questions

+5 votes
3 answers 3.5k views
3.5k views asked Nov 16, 2013 in Archived by Dipanshu Second Unit Director (72.7k points)