Registrations are open for a very limited time. Logging in Errors

Donate to the forum

All the Articles, images, and other info shared here by the community, are copyrighted to their owners. No copyright infringement is ever intended by Its Box Office, or by the community. If you have any issues with the content used, please use the feedback section to reach us.

63,476 questions

236,621 answers

286,025 comments

383 users

Is Ajay Devgan really that dependent on Rohit Shetty to give him a Hit?

+4 votes

I know this is a criticism but this decade has been very poor Ajay as he's had two clean Hits of his own without Rohit e.g. Once Upon a Time in Mumbai & Son of Sardar. Yes, he had Rajneeti which kind of counts but Ajay was given less importance and screen time unlike his other films he's done with Prakash Jha.

Whenever he does a film without Rohit Shetty, it always turns out to be a Flop or an Average verdict at best. He's struggles even cross a 100cr which was the same scenerio with Shivaay (Average) & Baadshaho (Flop). It could be the same scenerio for his upcoming films e.g Raid & Rom Com with Tabu.

I'm happy that Golmaal Returns has become a Blockbuster but I felt that that Ajay needed a Rohit Shetty film more than it needed him. Isn't that obvious after failing to cross 100cr with Shivaay & Baadshaho?

asked Oct 30 in General by Nikeel Production Designer (13,370 points)
100% Accept Rate

Ajay reminds me of Govinda whom in the 90s & early 00s couldn't even give a clean Hit without David Dhawan apart from Dulhe Raja. Hum is considered a Amitabh Bachchan film so I doubt if that counts.

Khuddar & Anari No.1 were Semi-Hits

3 Answers

+3 votes

Best answer

Yes he is. From 2014 to 2017 he didn't give a single HIT without Rohit. Even his openings aren't that good. It's not like he requires huge numbers to give a HIT. I think Baadshaho needed around 80-90cr for HIT verdict, yet despite Bakrid and all the necessary commercial elements, it only did 65cr. WOM was also mixed, not bad.

He can pull some audience, but overall his career is dependant on Rohit Shetty. Luckily for him, Rohit also realises Ajay's value and will continue to make movies with him.

answered Oct 30 by mr.hola Unit Manager (30,715 points)
selected Oct 31 by Nikeel

Do you think Ajay is like today's Govinda? If you look at his verdict of his 90s films and 00s, the majority of his successful movies was from David Dhawan. Rests were Flops and Disasters. He only had two clean Hits e.g. Dulhe Raja & Hum, I guess. Khuddar & Anari No.1 were Semi-Hits.

Not really. I mean similarities are there, but I always felt that Govinda only really fit in that David Dhawan brand. Ajay on the other hand can do many more types of roles and can fit in many different personalities. Maybe the fault is in script selection or economics or something, but Ajay can deliver Hits without Rohit Shetty more easily than Govinda could without David. Let's see what Raid does next year.

That's where it becomes a concern of his upcoming movies e.g. Raid & Rom Com with Tabu. There's 95% chance that he may repeat the same scenario like Driysham, Shivaay & Baadshaho e.g. Flop or Average at best.

However, massy movies favour him because that's what his audiences like seeing him in. If he did work with AR Marugadoss in this type of films but it's a sure shot it Hit and he's a good director.

Yes definitely. The single screen audience likes him a lot, but he's doing theses other movies to get some fans in multiplexes as well. Hope it works out for him.

+4 votes

Rohit Shetty also gives a Semihit with Dilwale

answered Oct 30 by shah Unit Manager (38,878 points)

Dilwale was a big mistake and I think Rohit knows that. That's why he will stick to slap stick comedy and massy films. Hopefully, this film he does with Ranveer Singh lives up to its mark.

just remember that Semi-Hit Dilwale did as much business as Super-Hit Singham Returns.

+3 votes

IMO... It's not like Ajay needs Rohit or Rohit needs Ajay. Actually both of them need each other. Ajay-Rohit combo means a sure shot hit. It's a lethal combination. Dono ek dusre ke bina adhura hain.

answered Oct 30 by TIGER- the real king Unit Manager (32,228 points)

Rohit Shetty knows how to make a massy film which connects with Ajay's mass following in SS. However, without Rohit is where Ajay struggles and SOS was his last clean Hit film without him. That's why I felt Ajay needed him after giving unsuccessful films with Action Jackson, Shivaay and Baadshaho.

Related questions

+4 votes
3 answers 134 views
134 views asked May 13, 2014 in Opinion by Baazigar All Time best! (282,368 points)
+10 votes
2 answers 252 views
252 views asked Nov 30, 2013 in Old by Deleted User Id - 0