The Telugu film Katamarayudu took a huge opening down South as it recorded the 15th highest opening of all time in India which includes all films of any language recorded in India. The film had a GROSS of 35.75 crore on day one. This was good enough to knock PK out of the top fifteen. Earlier this year Khaidi No.150 had recorded an even higher opening but it was a holiday though that makes little difference in the South. Khaidi No.150 is the biggest opening of year if we count all Indian films and now this film Katamarayudu is the second best. This is despite there being a Shahrukh Khan, Akshay Kumar and Hrithik Roshan Hindi films in the first quarter but none of those films have opened as well as these two Telugu films.
Below are the highest opening days of all time in India. (Films from all languages included and their dubbed versions).
NOTE - the figures are all GROSS as when comparing films in different languages, only GROSS gives a real comparison.
1. Prem Ratan Dhan Payo - 55.03 crore
2. Kabali - 53.96 crore
3. Sultan - 51.15 crore
4. Happy New Year - 50.78 crore
5. Bahubali - 49.48 crore
6. Dhoom 3 - 45.67 crore
7. Singham Returns - 43.44 crore
8. Khaidi No.150 - 41.64 crore
9. Ek Tha Tiger - 41.29 crore
10. Dangal - 41.19 crore
11. Chennai Express - 40.81 crore
12. Sardaar Gabbar Singh - 37.10 crore
13. Janatha Garage - 36.48 crore
14. Bajrangi Bhaijaan - 36.23 crore
15. Katamarayudu - 35.75 crore apprx