Logging in Errors
All the Articles, images, and other info shared here by the community, are copyrighted to their owners. No copyright infringement is ever intended by Its Box Office, or by the community. If you have any issues with the content used, please use the feedback section to reach us.

66,000 questions

247,174 answers

301,185 comments

396 users

I Four Day Business - BOI

+5 votes

I in Hindi has not done well with business of 7.50 crore nett in four days plus paid previews. The collections are less than Robot released a few years which itself did not do too well. These are are the only two dubbed films from South India to get a major release in Hindi over the last few years.

The collections are just not in accordance to the releases, the releases are wide but collections very limited. Its a similar story for Hindi films dubbed into Telugu and Tamil. There are many territories which just don't collect for these type of films and Mumbai circuit is contributing around 50%.

The all India collections of I were around 95 crore nett till the end of business on Sunday. The business is huge down South but the cost to cover is also huge. The film will cross the other big South Indian film Lingaa released a few weeks back which grossed around 125 crore nett.

http://www.boxofficeindia.com/Details/art_detail/ifourdaybusiness#.VL4N19KUenE

asked Jan 20, 2015 in Opinion by suhas All Time best! (255,689 points)
99% Accept Rate

1 Answer

0 votes

Best answer

Robot did majority of whatever it did in hindi due to Aish being in it..South heroes,directors in south films don't work in hindi belt..Yeah they work in TV,but would people pay to watch it,no.

answered Jan 20, 2015 by Navoarsenal All Time best! (267,367 points)
selected Jan 20, 2015 by suhas
Na.. It's only now the response have gone down largely. Otherwise Hindi dubbed versions definitely enjoyed a market especially in the 90's.

When you take Aish's name you largely discredit Shankar. Don't forget Hindustani which did Hit business despite being a dubbed film giving strong competition to straight Hindi films. Just like that, Mani Ratnam's Bombay too. Shankar & Mani Ratnam's dubbed films always enjoyed a warm response in North Indian belt.

Most of the biggies from south insisted on for bilinguals. Avvai Shanmughi was not dubbed instead Kamal Haasan himself remade it to Hindi as Chachi 420. Dil Hi Dil Mein despite being dubbed had entire portions of the film reshot starring Anupam Kher & Johnny Lever to appeal to the Hindi audience.

Only post 2000, the dubbed version market has been limited to b & c centers. Now most of them see a release in Gujarat for most of the time, that too in hardly 3-4 theaters unless they surprise us with more.
90's are a different matter,not talking abt that time..
When i was small,i thought Bombay was a hindi film,i came to knw later it was a south film.Same with many others like Roja.How much did Roja do though...nowadays in this age,people can make out even in films like roy,billu who is in lead,i doubt it was that tough to convince people then.
Na that time more than people, industry was that much willing to support other language films.. It was not at all about first day or weekend in the 90's remember?

The movies used to the reach wide audience. They were willing to give in for a good film that came their way. Plus only those films that were dubbed carefully or to say properly not like now a days where the dubbing itself is so bad with real lame hindi translated dialogues. Whether it's Roja, Anjali, Hindustani, Humse Hai Muqabla, Jeans, Duniya Dilwalo Ki, Dil Hi Dil Mein... infact any Shankar or Mani Ratnam film, you can easily notice the efforts gone into dubbing.

Simple thing to notice in Roja, she's a Tamilian whose husband has been kidnapped & in Kashmir she can't speak to others as she doesn't know a single Hindi word. But in dubbing, that entire part is so beautifully handled that Hindi audience don't even know that Madhoo's main trouble in talking to the army officials was that she didn't know to speak Hindi.

Related questions

+5 votes
2 answers 95 views
95 views asked Jan 18, 2015 in Opinion by suhas All Time best! (255,689 points)
+4 votes
1 answer 179 views
+6 votes
2 answers 140 views
140 views asked Feb 5, 2015 in Opinion by suhas All Time best! (255,689 points)